Electrical appliances can very easily malfunction or get fused if there is fluctuation in the voltage and therefore one needs a transformer so that the electrical appliances that one is using get the same frequency of voltages or currents. Dry type transformers use air as the coolant and therefore require an insulation system that provides air circulation. Unlike liquid-filled transformers, that require high maintenance, these transformers require bare minimum electrical maintenance. And these transformers also offer many years of trouble-free service.
Dry-type transformers are also called by the name cast resin transformers. The quality of the dry type transformer in India is really good. These power transformers get this name because their windings are encased in epoxy resin. These kinds of transformers are dry and do not require oil as the coolant which is why it makes it easier to install. These kinds of transformers can be used in both the indoor and outdoor settings.
Usually, these transformers are used for utility, industrial and commercial purposes and are most appropriate for places where transformers that use oil as a coolant provide a safety hazard. Voltage dry type transformer is also one option. India has a lot of dry type transformer manufacturer.
Mentioned below are the types of dry-type transformers that are available:
- Open wound transformers
- VPI dry-type transformers (Vacuum Pressure Impregnated)
- Vacuum Pressure Encapsulation (VPE) transformer
- Cast coil transformer
Mentioned below are the advantages of having a dry-type transformer:
- It does not provide any safety hazard. As oil is used as the coolant in normal transformers, it is not safe to use them at every setting. Using a dry-type transformer lets the winding to be fire retardant.
- There is no oil usage. As these transformers only need air to cool down, it reduces the cost and labour both.
- It is safe to use. The chances of a dry-type transformer exploding are much less when compared to the other variants.
- It is environment-friendly. Oil is not used in his type of transformer, it is eco-friendly as there is no chance of oil leaking. It also does not cause pollution.
It has lower installation costs. As there are no constraints on the installation site because it can be fixed closer to the load, one ends up saving a lot on cabling cost. An outdoor dry-type transformer can be installed outside and indoor type inside. They also have a low maintenance cost.
- It is easy to maintain. As there is no need for testing oil, it is easier to maintain. Also, because it has a smooth coil surface it does not collect much dirt and is pretty easy to clean.
- It is crack resistant.
- It is moisture-resistant as the winding in resin prevents moisture penetration.
- It has a compact design.
- It is more sustainable
- It can operate in extreme weather conditions. It does not cause any problem between -50°C and 50°C.
- It is also vibration proof.
Mentioned below are the disadvantages of using the dry type transformer:
- Their purchase price is more than an oil-type transformer.
- They are also more difficult to repair.
- Coils can pose a threat if not cleaned properly.
- They also make a lot of noise and are therefore not suitable for indoors
- Their overload capacity is not as good as the oil-type transformers
Mentioned below are some things that one should keep in mind while getting a dry-type transformer:
- Capacity or Power Rating
- Primary and Secondary voltages
You should settle on a transformer only after making sure which transformer you want; the dry type transformer or the one that uses oil as the coolant. While making the decision keep in mind the advantages and disadvantages that are mentioned in this article as they would most definitely help you make the right decision.